Friday, August 24, 2012

{crochet} A Heart


I've been holding off on more heart patterns since the original post, because I wanted to cover all the stitches needed, and these hearts use a few of them!

Now that I have a tutorial made for each stitch, I can take you through it step by step. I have linked back to the appropriate stitches,, just in case you need to refresh your memory. I'm starting to abbreviate more, to ease you into pattern reading.

Today's heart is the same one round heart that was my first ever blog post (here), and also includes a second round. I'm using up some spare wool from my side walk shawl. Its always a good idea to keep spare bits and pieces and use them up in projects like this. I have edited the photos a little, because they were a little dark.

I am using 8ply pure wool and a 5mm hook


Slip Knot, you may want to leave a shorter tail than usual.



Chain 4

All of the first round worked into last chain, next to the tail.


Three Trebles (or Triples!) (tr)- US
or
Three Double Trebles (dtr)- UK


Then, three doubles (dc)- US
or
three trebles (tr) UK
into the same stitch.


Chain 1, tr 1, chain 1 (US)
or 
Chain 1, dtr 1, chain 1 (UK) 
All into same stitch


3 dc, 3 tr (US)
or
3 tr, 3 dtr (UK)


3 chains 



Slip stitch into centre of heart. (that sounds a bit rough!)



Round one complete, fasten off if this is required size or continue on.


Round 2: Chain 3



in the first tr/dc from previous row:
sc and dc (both into same loop) US
or
dc and tr (into same loop) UK


into next loop: 
3 dc (US)
or
3 tr (UK)

into next loop:
2 dc (US)
or
2 tr (UK)


1 dc into each of the next 4 (US)
or
1 tr into each of next 4 (UK)


ch 1, tr 1. ch 1 (US)
or
ch1, dtr 1, ch 1 (UK)


1 dc into each of next 4 (US)
or
1 tr into each of next 4 (UK)


2 dc into next loop, 3 dc into next one after that (US)
or
2 tr into next loop, 3 tr into next one after that (UK)

1 dc and 1 sc into next loop (US)
or
1 tr and 1 dc into next loop (UK)


3 chains


Slip Stitch into centre of heart.

Fasten off

And there we have it! A heart in two rounds.
Using the same pattern you can experiment with different yarn and hook sizes to see what you like best.


Thanks for visiting. let me know how you go!

7 comments:

  1. how many times can you add rounds and what is the formula?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your comment. truthfully I haven't tried it yet, but have been meaning to! I am guessing that you will need to work the point the same, and increase at the top of each bump. I will have a practice and see what I come up with!

      Delete
  2. What size hook did you use for this heart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a 5mm hook with 8ply yarn. That's an H if you use the US sizes, or a 6 UK. I usually stick to a 4mm

      Delete
  3. شكرًا لك ، وردة رائعة !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happened to be surfing the web and came across your heart (my favorite shape ever) Neat little thing you do. Love the crochet now I have a simple little heart to add. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete