Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Buy Nothing New {September}


Last September, inspired by Patchwork Cactus, I attempted to buy nothing new for a whole month. I ended up getting a new tattoo at the end of the month, which was right at the end, but at the time I felt like I didn't complete the self appointed task.

This year I thought I would try it again, and I might even make it a regular September occurrence. The idea is to buy nothing new, except food and basic necessities, but you can buy second hand.

So far this month I did buy a bag which I needed for work, and a new bronzer, but I also bought a preloved designer top from a market, and a huge stash of wool.


 I got 4 bags of woollen yarn for $24 and estimate that is would have been close to $70 if I had bought it new. All the yarn I checked was in the same dye lot -I got three different types all up,  and I like the vintage-esque labels! I probably could have negotiated a cheaper price as I was at the markets, but I liked what I was getting. Right now I am airing it outside, because I'm not sure how long they have been bagged up, but there really wasn't smells or mustiness that concerned me.


I'm looking forward to making something fun, I just have to choose what!



Thanks for reading! 

9 comments:

  1. Oh a new crafty blog to follow! I will look forward to your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always looking for cheap yarn - well done !!!! I am sure that you will come up with something really lovely to make with what you bought.
    Have the best day !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of having a month where you buy nothing new!!
    I enjoy going to op shops so much - most of my clothes and my daughters clothes are second hand and we have got some great bargains.
    Looking forward to seeing what you use the wool for :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work! Over always been tempted to do a buy nothing new challenge but I'm not sure how we'll I would go, especially with two little munchkins who seem to be growing like weeds at the moment!

    #teamIBOT was here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scrabble - LOVE IT - what a great and imagination backdrop! I'm no crafty as you know but can appreciate your talent :) Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great challenge. Gee I don't know if my kids would be hap though haha but how good would it be for them too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheap yarn is definitely the best thing to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember you doing this, and thought it was an awesome idea. Think I'm going to try it. But it might be hard leading up to Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I can't wait to hear what you end up making with the yarn! Great colours!

    ReplyDelete