Tuesday, March 26, 2013

patchwork crochet {part 2. the square}


I have decided on a square design that I like for the patchwork crochet blanket I am making


A really simple solid square, that will only have three rounds. My pattern written in US terms. What makes it different to past granny squares, is that instead of crocheting under the top loop, you crochet between each dc of previous row. I've since edited the original square, to make a more seamless join with two slip stitches between each round.

start with a magic ring

1st round: 3 chains, 2dc, 3ch, 3dc, 3ch, 3dc, 3ch, 3dc, and slip stitch into third chain from start, and slip stitch  between the 3chains and first dc

2nd round: 3chains, *dc between each dc of previous row until you reach the corner. 2dc 2ch 2dc into corner. repeat from * (you should have 6 dc on each side) slip stitch into third chain from start, slip stitch between the 3chains and first dc

3rd round: 3chains, *dc between each dc of previous row until you reach the corner. 2dc 2ch 2dc into corner. repeat from * (you should have 9 dc on each side) slip stitch into third chain from start, slip stitch between the 3chains and first dc.


If you would prefer a larger square, just make sure all squares have the same amount of rounds. I think it works best at around 5 rows

Now, to finish off all the squares, there are quite a few of them, and then I'll show you how I'm joining them.


Edited to add: So far I have been able to get an easy 18 squares from one ball of 100 gram 8 ply yarn. When completed I'll update with more accurate yarn quantities. 

6 comments:

  1. Ooo love the colour of your yarn. I am a novice crocheter, think I need to bookmark this post so this can be my project over Winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a new found appreciation for crochet, after seeing some of it in the flesh. Maybe one day I will learn....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing how it turns out :) Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm determined to crochet a blanket for my new bub, but swiftly running out of time to learn. I love the colour you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous colour! Can't wait to see how it turns out - I'm too impatient to crochet, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea...graphing with the grannies! Thank you for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete