Monday, March 18, 2013

patchwork crochet {part 1. designing}

It's time for a brand new, fresh project!

It's another blanket, with a recipient in mind, but usually I will either follow a pattern, or just start crocheting and see what happens. This time I'm planning out the whole thing, and taking you through my thought process.

I've been toying with the idea of making a patchwork blanket out of crochet squares. I know it isn't a new idea, I've seen plenty of blanket pattern along these lines. Like this one:

Source: flickr.com via Emma on Pinterest


I like the idea of using a cross stitch pattern, but becuase i wantede to do the whole thing myself, I designed my own.




I shared a few of these sketches on instagram, I used graph paper and crayons when doodling with my kids.  I think this simple pattern might just be perfect. It only requires four colours, three if you want to use this to do a little cross stitch (and you are welcome to use it!)

if you want to make your own design, you can do the same as me, with paper and pencils, or even do it digitally. You won't need anything fancy, MS Paint will do.

Now, I'm off to choose my yarn, and work out what sort of square I want to make.

To make this pattern I will need 8 squares of light rose, 11 dark rose, 22 green, and a minimum of 56 white. (an additional 44 white squares if you want a white border around the edge.)  Rose can be substituted with any other colour, as long as you have a dark and light tone.


Edited to add: so far I have been able to easily get 18 squares from a 100 gram ball of 8ply. I'll update later with more exact quantities.

Well, it is time for me to get started!





1 comment:

  1. Looks like it'll be gorgeous - can't wait to see it :)

    ReplyDelete