Tuesday, February 5, 2013

{10 days oh Hearts} Day 5 . Lacey Heart



Today's heart is inspired by a readers question. They asked how big I could make these crocheted hearts. Truthfully I haven't made them any bigger, but I have wondered the same thing myself. This lacey heart builds off these previously posted hearts, and doubles the size.
If you want to make the heart even bigger, you can try a thicker yarn and a larger hook! I have used 8ply and a 5mm hook..

I would like to work on the pattern and see if I can make a heart big enough to make a pillow, but that will be another day.

As I mentioned, you will need to build from this heart pattern, do not fasten off.
(using US terms)

Chain 4 and slip stitch into the sc from previous row
Chain 5



1 tc and 1 ch into next stitch, and repeat 22 more times (23 tr in total)
4 chains and sl st into sc from previous row, 4 chains and sl st into top of heart




Final row: 1ch, and sc into next 10 stitches
sc into chain space (first chain space between two tr), 3ch, 1sc, repeat into chain chain space gap (22 times in total)
sc in each stitch till start, sl st and fasten off.

I yarnbombed my backyard :) These hearts look a bit like butterflies, so they looked great outside! They are also the perfect size for a doily.




15 comments:

  1. They are so awesome. I can't believe I still haven't made one of your hearts, it really is on my to do list, you make it seem so easy and I am sure if I just had some quiet time I could work it out. Show me a mum with quiet time though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe we should do an online crochet party!

      Delete
  2. So sweet. (I think I always say that on your blog!) I love your photographs. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are very pretty. i'm afraid i couldn't knit a straight line though, let alone a heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that last photo is divine! Perfectly timed for Valentine's Day too! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to learn how to crochet. Looks like so much fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooo, I'm determined to at least make a few hearts by Valentine's. I've done a chain and the first two levels of stitches. Thank you so much for the conversion charts! I was already getting confused by the different things I was looking at. Dumb question: Until I get to the store, I am using what I have on hand = one crochet hook, yarn which recommends using hook or needle 2 sizes up. Does this just make it very tight and tiny?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What size yarn and hook? If the hook is smaller it will make the heart smaller and the stitches tight, which isn't necessarily bad. If the hook is too small for the yarn, it may not be able to fit around the yarn to pull it through, and you might end up slitting the yarn. If you see this chart on wikipedia, there is a range of hooks to suit the yarn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_yarns_for_crochet_and_knitting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely hearts Emma! I love the two last pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lovely!!! Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial! Would love to have you visit me sometime.
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's gorgeous Emma!

    Thanks so much for sharing.

    And thanks for linking up to And Sew We Craft Together x

    ReplyDelete