Sunday, July 15, 2012

Handmade Photo Book

Here we have another project transferred over from my other blog. 

update: the book has taken quite a beating! And is still intact. If any liquid gets on the glue, it will react to it, we have had a few stains and smears, but this was designed for a little boy! If you are worried about your child chewing on the book, it might be better to save this project till they are older. 



What do you get a one year old who has two older brothers & two older (male) cousins and has all toys and clothes he could need? A personalised photo book! {today's post is very pic heavy!} I made my own, because I wanted it to be pretty durable for him to be able to handle it himself.

I used a kit that I bought from Spotlight (craft store) which was four pieces of pre cut MDF board. You could make them yourself if you are handy with a jigsaw (or know someone who is) You could also use strong cardboard. The kit was $5 and had many designs. I also purchased a small wooden F. 

I painted each page, (which I don't seem to have photos of) and painted the F black, had photos printed in 4x4 squares (which actually meant I had them printed in 4x6 and cut them!) I had already added all the writing to the photos in my photo editing program.





 Each photo was glued in place with PVA glue mixed with a small amount of water, just to get the glue to spread evenly. I also coated each photo and page with the glue to make a protective shield. I did a test first to make sure the photo wouldn't spoil. ( I am told this is similar to 'modpodge')

Once dry, which took the best part of a day each side, I tied the pages together with some yarn.
And you can see the finished product!



And Finn is enjoying the results! It won't matter if it gets battered around.





2 comments:

  1. Great project, I love how the wood is thick enough to stand up to little hands! The glue issue wouldn't bother me as much as ripped pages would. Thank you for sharing at A Crafty Soiree! I've featured your post in the newest one. It will be up at midnight EST tonight, please come by and check it out when you can!

    ReplyDelete